Simple Life

15 July 2005

NKF vs SPH

<<<<<<< Please note: The following paragraphs are written on 14th July 2005, completed around 1am, but not posted till 15th July 2am. >>>>>>>

Let me make a prediction. The number of calls made to support the NKF-backed Cancer charity show tonight on Channel U will hit an all time low.

Despite having three veteran singers up on stage, you can’t pacify the people; you can’t stop public outrage, at least for now.

Returning from work, Lao Gong told me that he heard that there is an online petition to remove the CEO of NKF from office. I checked my email awhile ago and it is true. A friend forwarded an email to me about this, I went to the link; noticed the number of signatures standing at 18299. In fact while watching the news an hour ago, the newscaster state that the number of petitioners was around 10,000. At this rate, it is definitely hitting the 20000 mark and escalating beyond.

Having made donation calls for the Cancer show just recently, I have also learned from the news that I have the option of canceling my donations. Not that I am going to, but news reported that angry public have started flooding the National Council of Social Services hotlines to make their stand – they want their money back. Can’t help but wonder is there anyone trying to cheat (混水摸鱼) as it may be because they never win any lucky draw prize during the shows?

No, I will not have an outburst here. I will control myself, I am not going to defame anyone and get sued. For a factual account of the NKF vs SPH saga, click here and make your own judgement. Lao Gong jested to me yesterday, ‘Go write about this!’ I returned him a ‘you deserve a beating’ smile and tell him to go write it himself.

Lao Gong has donated to NKF fervently in the past but for sensible reasons turned to supporting SPH School Pocket Fund about 2 years ago. Quoting him, ‘Education is the most important. It’s for our future generations. Even Creative’s Sim Wong Hoo also gave to this cause.’

Lao Gong is pretty supportive of our fellow countryman and local products I must say. When he is choosing between what brands of MP3 player to buy for me, he made a decision that flabbergasted me. Apple’s I-Pod is so very cool and aesthetically appealing however he bought Creative’s Zen Touch for me. He chose functionality (longer battery life, potential to contain more songs) over appearance. This is very unlike him. I mocked him and say I can’t believe he loves Singapore so much. Substance over form, he maintained is very important. Anyway, he wins, I win, and Singapore wins.

To draw a parallel, no matter which organisation we decides to pledge our donations and support to, everybody still wins. Since the NKF vs SPH saga broke out, there are still a lot of people who are matured and sensible enough to remind the angry folks to cool down and continue to give to the needy. If not, everybody loses in the long run.

施比受,更为有福. (Giving is much more gratifying than receiving.)

<<<<<<< Please note: The above paragraphs are written on 14th July 2005, completed around 1am, but not posted till 15th July 2am. >>>>>>>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home