Simple Life

09 July 2005

M.I.L.K. Run

3rd of July 2005 was the day M.I.L.K. Run was held.

As the name suggests, it was a running event. As the name suggests too, people wondered if MILK is going to be distributed during the race or after the race.

Nope. From what I know drinking milk is not a better alternative to a nice cool cup of 100plus or plain sky juice when you are sweating it out. I have never tasted milk during the numerous races I have been to.

M.I.L.K. is an acronym for Mainly I Love Kids. Ok, so this run is organised for the kids, so most likely that is why the word MILK was forcefully tagged to the run and hence the misunderstanding.

Previously known as the Streetwise Run, it has been held on every National Youth Day since 2001. This run was held to raise funds dedicated to the purpose of fighting juvenile delinquency. In addition, the event’s main sponsor also deployed 200 of its staff to train and encourage underprivileged children in their preparations for the M.I.L.K. run.

I took part because Lao Gong works for the event’s main sponsor. As his Lao Po, that is the least I could do - to support him and his company by participating in this event with him. Moreover, running was my forte (though no longer true). 5km this time round should not be a problem.

{{{ {{{ {{{
Come to the question of, “Since I excelled in it, was running ever my passion?” Forte = Passion? Yes, only if the competitive element is removed.

I was in cross-country otherwise known as long distance running back in high school days. Training back then was three times a week during relaxed stages, four times weekly when we are near competitions. Distance covered per training can amount to 16km when we are in the endurance phrase even though most of our competition requires us to cover 3.2km only.

Still remember the old days when we were racing in MacRitchie Reservoir, can never forget the intense pressure faced at the starting line before take off. Competitors staring at you, competitors rubbing shoulders with you, the humidity you felt on your body and the ironical dryness you experienced when you breathe…
3.2 km just seemed to last forever even though you have managed 5 times that distance during numerous training.
Competitive running is not what I like to face on a permanent basis. Glad that now I am free to run as and when I like it. No duty or obligation to run for the school. No pressure to win. Between enjoying winning and enjoying running, I chose the latter.
}}} }}} }}}

Back to the present, my ever encouraging Lao Gong somehow always marvels at my consistent capacity to be able to recover promptly and easily after our jog. He will said, “Wow, your base is still around after so many years.”

Well, when I was in high school, the training though physical, was much more mentally challenging. At present, I can still run at a comfortable pace even though I have not been training or jogging on a regular basis as up there, subconsciously, I know I have been there, done that.

Getting back to the event…

The starting point was at the barren ground opposite Zouk disco, which was beside Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. (Must mention the hotel cos’ I have spent 8 months undergoing internship there, a lot of memories.)

Reaching the place, I was taken aback initially as I have not taken part in a run of this scale for a very long time. Seeing the thousands of secondary school kids brought me back to the days when I was just like them. As the M.I.L.K. run was not so much of a competitive nature, but rather an inspiring one due to its charitable cause, schools sent their pupils here in doves. That explains the crowd and high energy level. I felt old standing among the kids.

Was surprised to find a high school schoolmate, Daphne standing among the crowd, we were in the same Home Economics class before. She has a twin sister and they were both in the same class, I was in another.

I decided to go forward to say hi to her since she is alone. Glad that my memory did not fail me, I got her name correctly. I have a 50% chance as she & sister are identical twins. Once we started chatting, the usual topics came up, my early marriage and my involvement in long distance running back in high school. Cross-country somehow gave me more exposure and hence a higher profile than other students.

{{{ {{{ {{{
I would like to convince myself that my involvement in cross-country is the sole contributory reason for being known by peers, but I have to be honest and acknowledge that having a petite frame has given me more fame than I enjoy. Since primary school, I have been conferred nicknames such as 小蚂蚁(Little Ant), 小辣椒(Chilli Padi), etc. The not so edifying term -‘Cute’ has always been associated with me. Cute means ugly but adorable.
}}} }}} }}}

Daphne took part in the run as part of her training preparation for the Standard Chartered Marathon event held in coming December. I can’t help expressing my admiration for her there and then; for her courage and discipline to train and do it alone (I will never jog alone), besides, she was the introverted type last time. It has been almost ten years since we last met. Time changes, people changes.

The run was good.

Daphne never stopped and she thrived the 5km by winning the endurance battle against her tired mind.

I stopped at the halfway mark as I heard an ongoing rumbling sound in my internal organs. This old problem resurfacing disturbed me quite a bit. However I do not know which organ exactly as I never took biology.

Pleaded Lao Gong to continue his jog; however he was insistent to accompany me walking after I am sure it is okay to continue. He won. I took a few sip of water and off we go again.

At the initial stage, we overtook a couple who was running together; they overtook us when I stopped. Has a silent rivalry begins? I guess it had. Much as I hate competition, there is still this competitive streak in me.

The rivalry has begun way before the horn was sounded. That gal caught my attention way before the race, she was simply too drama-mama for my liking. People can hear her without seeing her; from afar. She really enjoys heaping attention on herself. I also heard (not overheard as she is very loud) that she has been training for this event and she is not shy about it. I told Lao Gong that I have this desire to beat her and the best part is I never trained for this event anyway. See if she dares to show off next time.

Seeing that couple overtaking us when I stopped also spurred me on as I am reminded of the vow I made to beat that gal before the race. I want to seek justice.

While ahead, that gal was always turning back her head, to look behind; it may be she is looking for her other friends or it may be she is watching out for us. It is more of the latter as reading her look; I believed she also deemed me as her target to beat. I hope she saw that it is mutual.

Yeah! After a few hundred metres, Lao Gong and I managed to overtake them. While passing them, that gal took to a walk and proclaimed loudly to her companion, ‘Where are XXX and YYY? Let’s wait for them.’ I think she is trying to find excuse for herself to stop. Loser. Nei nei nei boo boo, you cannot catch me.

I know the race does not end here after we overtook them, the finishing point is still 1.5km ahead. Perseverance. Lao Gong and I pressed on.

Guessed what’s next!
The guy overtook us alone without the gal. I was thinking, thankfully my Lao Gong is unlike him. Lao Gong could have run much faster but he still chooses to run with me all the way. Competition will not drive him to abandon his partner. True gentleman.

We completed the race with a decent time, not my best, nowhere near my best in the past, but I completed it with Lao Gong, for my Lao Gong. That guy was ahead of us, that gal finished behind us, mission accomplished.

This race was made memorable because of Daphne, the couple which I bear no hatred against, but thanks to them, I was motivated and did a better run than I expected and I am once again assured of Lao Gong’s TLC for me.

One good Run deserves another!

1 Comments:

  • How sweet! Take care of yourself though; don't let your competitiveness get the better of you.

    By Blogger goldilocks, at 3:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home