Simple Life

12 July 2005

This is My Wife’s Taxi

We have ordered our first new car in late May; car collection was last Wednesday, 13th of July.

Asked Lao Gong if he feel excited about collecting our new car last week and he told me that the excitement wore off due to the long wait. We were told when we made the down payment that delivery was scheduled in late June. However it was not to be so.

The delay impacted on the number of our car license plate. He was hoping that our car license plate would start with the alphabets SFV. Instead we received a SFW. Lao Gong is pretty particular when it comes to certain things. He feels that SFV looks aesthetically more appealing, more shiok. SFW tak shiok.
(Shiok - malay word for a wonderful feeling. Tak shiok - malay word for not exactly a wonderful feeling.)

To add to his blues, I refused to let him bid for the car license plate he wants. Poor Lao Gong.

I have my reason. In Singapore, to get one’s preferred car license number, one need to fork out at least $1000 to take part in the bidding exercise. Some drivers would think otherwise, especially the older generations. Have heard incidents in which car owners paid more for this 40cm by 10cm piece of metal than the vehicle itself. Of course, the numbers in contest must be highly auspicious hence widely popular number such as 8888, 168, 1, etc.

I think it makes no sense and cents to spend $1000 on something which is not affecting the driving experience.

Lao Gong has his reason too. He wants to put my birth date on the car plate as it means something to him. I know, I understand. If it is free or can be done at a fraction of the cost, I would not stop him. It is for me anyway, I appreciated it. In the end, we agreed that we would bid for our preferred number the next time - when we buy our next car.

The car brought me excitement as well as disappointment. I have been learning driving since Feb this year and I failed in my first attempt in the practical driving test held in June. I planned to pass the test and get my license in June so that I can drive when our car arrives. And the bad news is that the earliest retest date is in Oct. What a wait! God is testing my patience and resistance to succumb to temptation. It is very tempting to just drive without a license as I have one set of the car keys. Wait, if I do just this, I think I have a license of another sort – license to kill. Better not.

Fail is fail, no more grouses, no more lamenting but I have to let it out loud that I feel the tester is unfair in according me that immediate failure. I really saw that lorry in the second lane on the main road when I decide to join the first lane from the side road. How am I supposed to predict that he would lane change when I filter out? The tester never asked me to explain my actions there and then and later on he just failed me as he deemed me as an unsafe driver. If I have no intention to be a safe driver, why does he still have the chance to deduct 6 points from me as he felt that I took too long a time checking my blind spots on three occasions?

I am not going to suffer in silence the next time, will defend myself when I need to. So what if you are tester? I have to be fair to myself.

Okay back to the happy stuff.

A new car requires new fittings such as Vkool for UV protection, storage boxes/trays at the boot and other stuff to make it driver-friendly and comfortable. Lao Gong chose to personalize ours with a car decal which read, “This is My Wife’s Taxi!”

This is very sweet of him. However, comes October, I look forward to replacing the decal with another that reads, “This is My Hubby’s Taxi!”

It is a luxury to be chauffeured around by Lao Gong all these years, however a part of me just want to be self-reliant.

1 Comments:

  • Your post makes me feel like getting a license so that I can rent a car to drive my "husband" around. But then again, it might be easier to get a taxi.

    Hope you get your license soon.

    By Blogger oceanskies79, at 10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home